Kerin Poll is an exciting new producer of Poll Merino genetics, defying trends in the wider Merino industry.
After nine years of benchmarking in both feast and famine, our Merino enterprise consistently achieves the highest benchmarked return of all our enterprises (Merino breeding, winter cropping, composite sheep breeding, cattle trading), per hectare per hundred millilitres of rain.
We’ve refined our Merino operation to now represent our lowest risk enterprise, in all seasons.
The popular notion that Merinos are hard work does not hold water for our sheep.
The figures speak for themselves:
* The biggest profit driver is the number of lambs weaned – the Kerin Poll flock has a 10-year rolling average lambing percentage of 142%
* For 21 years, we've culled every ewe that hasn't raised a lamb, and we have zero tolerance for suint in our sheep
* No money or labour spent applying Clik or Vetrazin to get rid of bloody maggots! It’s been eight years since we applied these chemicals on our sheep
* Growth rates in our wether lambs that equal terminal-bred lambs
* In our latest benchmarking results (2011/12), we accomplished a gross margin of $59/DSE. Visit the Profit and Benchmarking page of this website for more detail on our benchmarking results.