Central Victorian Livestock Exchange over halfway done. See picture
Once complete it will cover 30,000m2
About the CVLX:
At present, livestock sales for the Central Victorian region of Victoria are conducted at the Ballarat saleyards in Latrobe Street, Ballarat.
These saleyards have been operating since the 1860’s. Facilities are aging and conditions no longer meet modern safety, animal welfare and environmental standards required in today’s industry.
The CVLX project will provide a new, modern facility to replace the Ballarat saleyards. It will accommodate annual throughput of 70,000 cattle and 1.6 million sheep and will improve the safe movement and handling of livestock on sale days.
Features of CVLX will include:
* An efficient layout which will improve the process of livestock penning, identification and classification to ensure sale days are conducted safely and efficiently.
* A safe working environment for stock agents, buyers and others working at the facility, including better separation of livestock from people.
* Modern infrastructure to reduce injury to animals and optimise animal comfort, including soft flooring, additional feeding facilities, low-bruise panelling, and undercover cattle and sheep yards.
* Quality environmental improvements including rainwater harvesting, waste water recycling and low energy lighting.
* High quality infrastructure for users and patrons including offices, hygiene services, on-site cafeteria, dedicated parking, vehicle wash facilities, and efficient loading bays.
* Site perimeter landscaping and tree planting.