More than 300 people last week flocked to the Cotton Grower of the Year Field Day, convened at Darlington Point in the NSW Southern Valleys.
The field day, held on March 27, recognised the achievements of the Toscan family of Cavaso Farming, who were the recipients of the 2017 Monsanto Cotton Grower of the Year Award. It also provided growers and industry participants with the opportunity to see Cavaso Farming’s operations in action.
Cavaso Farming is an irrigated cropping enterprise on 4200ha across eight properties at Darlington Point and Coleambally. The operation includes cotton, wheat, maize, popcorn, prunes and beef cattle.
Cotton Australia CEO, Adam Kay, congratulated the Southern Valleys Cotton Growers Association (SVCGA) on organising a fantastic event, which gave the attendees great insight into the Toscans’ innovative production practices.
“Cavaso Farming produced its first cotton crop just eight years ago, and it is remarkable how the Toscans’ drive for excellence has produced such an impressive result in a short time. The annual Australian Cotton Industry Awards recognise high achievement in all aspects of cotton production, and has found an extraordinary exemplar in Cavaso Farming," Mr Kay says.
The annual Australian Cotton Industry Awards recognise excellence throughout the supply chain, with awards presented across five different categories.
Recipients of the 2017 Australian Cotton Industry Awards were:
* Monsanto Grower of the Year: Cavaso Farming – Tony, Joyce, Matt and Daisy Toscan, Darlington Point, NSW
* AgriRisk High Achiever of the Year: CSD Farming - Mark Cathcart (“CSD Farms”, Wee Waa, NSW)
* ADAMA Chris Lehmann Trust Young Achiever of the Year: Fiona Norrie (Moree, NSW)
* Cotton Seed Distributors Researcher of the Year: Dr Paul Grundy and Dr Stephen Yeates (QDAF, Toowoomba & CSIRO Ayr, QLD)
* IPF Service to Industry Award: Michael Bennett (“Killowen”, Narromine, NSW)
The 2018 Australian Cotton Industry Awards will be presented at a gala dinner on August 9, to be held in conjunction with the Australian Cotton Conference.